- Want to build rich applications on the Web using Splunk? This book will be your ultimate guide!
- Learn to use web framework components with the help of this highly practical, example-rich guide
- Perform excellent Splunk analytics on the Web and bring that knowledge to your own projects
Building rich applications on the Web using Splunk is now simpler than ever before with the Splunk Web Framework. It empowers developers to build their own web applications with custom dashboards, tables, charts, form searches, and other functionalities in the datasets at their disposal.
The book will start with the fundamentals of the Splunk Web Framework, teaching you the secrets of building interesting and user-friendly applications. In the first application, you will learn to analyze and monitor traffic hitting the NASA website and learn to create dashboards for it. You will then learn additional, and more detailed, techniques to enhance the functionalities of the app such as dashboards and forms, editing simple XML, using simple XML extensions, tokens, post-process searches, dynamic drill-downs, the Splunk Web Framework and REST API, and much more. The second app will use historical stock market data and will create custom dashboards using Splunk Web Framework; the book will now cover important topics such as creating HTML dashboards, enhancing the visual appeal of the app using CSS, and moving your app with SplunkJS.
The book will provide different and interesting examples instead of the usual “Log, Index, Search, and Graph” so that Splunk will be the first tool readers think of to resolve a problem.
What you will learn
- Master the fundamentals of Splunk Web Framework
- Start thinking of Splunk as a complete development platform to build user-friendly apps
- Extend the functionality of your apps using SimpleXML techniques
- Set up dashboard layouts, navigation, and menus in your apps
- Create simple dashboard elements including charts and tables
- Master the art of interacting with searches and dashboards
- Integrate SplunkJS to add visual appeal to your website
About the Author
Vincent Sesto, when changing skill sets and moving from business into the information technology field 10 years ago, saw the potential of doing things via technology and has continued to follow his passion to find better ways of doing so. Vince has worked with Splunk for the past 4 years, developing apps and reporting applications around Splunk, and now works hard to advocate its success. He has worked as a system engineer in big data companies and development departments, where he has regularly supported, built, and developed with Splunk. His LinkedIn profile is at http://au.linkedin.com/in/vincesesto.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Splunk Web Framework Fundamentals
Chapter 2. Presenting Data to Users as a Splunk App
Chapter 3. Expand Your Splunk Apps Using Simple XML
Chapter 4. Layouts, Navigation, and Menus
Chapter 5. Interacting with Your User While Speeding up App Searches
Chapter 6. Moving from Simple XML to HTML
Chapter 8. Utilizing CSS to Spice Up Visual Appeal
Chapter 9. Moving Your App off Splunk with Splunk JS